Thursday, February 15, 2018

Here's to guilt free living


OK. So, the title might sound a bit selfish if you don't know me well. But one of the very best things Lupus has brought me is permission to give myself a break from guilt. Those who know me well, know that I constantly try to better and one up myself. Do more. Clean more. Get more accomplished. To which I am starting to stay, “Enough is enough! I'm not superwoman!”

Luckily, Lupus came along to suggest that sometimes, doing better means giving myself time for the really important things in life, rather than trying to do it all and feeling guilty when I can't.

Feeling responsible for “fixing” every little thing that happens to everyone I love and care for is ridiculous. After all, I'm only one person. I can't possibly do it all. Besides, the real fix happens when they learn to stand on their own two feet!

Empathy is one thing. Taking responsibility for absolutely everything and everyone around you is quite another. I'm done!

My house is far from dirty but still, I no longer feel guilty for that one unwashed plate sitting next to the sink or the fact that it's been 2 weeks since I dusted. The dust bunnies will still be there tomorrow. And it's perfectly OK to sit in my bathrobe for an hour or so in the morning, working up the energy to... well, work.

I am vowing to no longer feel guilty when the grand-babies cry and I get a good night's sleep. I had my turn at sleepless parenting nights. It's someone else's turn now. I need the sleep with this illness raging through me. But even if I didn't, I won't always be available. It's time to let others grow strong through their own experience and struggles.

And yes, it's hard to hear them cry. But if their parents don't have another option, they'll be OK, right? Of course they will. Because they love them every bit as much as I do. Problem is, I am too quick to step in. It's an easy out and what parent doesn't need an easy out sometimes? I know I would have jumped at the chance to have an hour of quiet when I was raising mine. LOL

Naturally, I will still be there to help occasionally. I'm not a monster. Just maybe not every time, you know? Because kids need to learn to rely on their parents. And how will that happen if Grandma is always their “go to” comfort zone? It won't.

Lupus is good for me, you guys. I'm too much of a helper. Been that way for far too long. I've paid my dues, so to speak. There's no reason I should feel guilty for not feeling guilty. Because, how crazy is that? And yet, without Lupus reminding me that I'm not the be all, end all fix for everything that happens around me, that's exactly how it would be.

So, thanks, Lupus. For giving me “permission” to live relatively guilt free for the rest of my life. I earned it and it's time for me to focus on healing and happiness. I don't need to be a hero to show my love. In fact, thanks to Lupus, I now see that it's actually just the opposite. Letting other people solve their own problems is much better for them and much more loving.

Bye bye guilt, hello helping myself and allowing others to do the same. I earned that shit and I'm embracing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment